In the early hours of Friday 15th March 2019, as worshippers were attending the mosques for Friday prayers there was an attack on two Mosque in New-Zealand. The Police Commissioner, Mike Bush said a number of firearms and explosives were found in a car belonging to one of the suspects and had been recovered.
The attack, which has been described the deadliest in the nation's history. According to Mike Bush, the first report of the attack came from the Al Noor mosque in central Christchurch. Witnesses told local media they ran for their lives and saw people bleeding on the ground outside the building, not quite long, there was a second attack on a mosque in the suburb of Linwood which was evacuated, and a number of IEDs attached to vehicles were defused by the Police.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the incident as a terrorist attack and one of New Zealand's "darkest days"."It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack,". In a series of tweets, she also wrote " What has happened in Christchurch is an extraordinary act of unprecedented violence. It has no place in New Zealand. Many of those affected will be members of our migrant communities - New Zealand is their home - they are us."
Relatedly another gunman, who identified himself in footage of an attack as a 28-year-old Australian called Brenton Tarrant, live-streamed his rampage to Facebook from a head-mounted camera. The footage showed him firing indiscriminately at men, women, and children from close range inside the Al-Noor mosque. Police called on the public not to share the "extremely distressing" footage online. Facebook said it had removed the gunman's Facebook and Instagram accounts and was working to remove any copies of the footage.