U.S To Begin “Major Operation” To Pick Up On Undocumented Immigrants

US & Canada News
Typography

The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement authority is expected to commence nationwide raids to flush out undocumented immigrants. The focus will largely be on large cities such as Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Houston and will seek to pick up migrants who have received final orders of removal from an immigration judge.

Daily Trust reports that the operation is scheduled to commence on Sunday and is tagged “major operation” by the United State President Donald Trump.

 

Trump said the operation would focus on criminals, such as members of the MS-13 gang, which was founded in Los Angeles and has ties to El Salvador.

 

New York state governor Andrew Cuomo said the raids would no doubt lead to “collateral arrests” of individuals with no orders of deportation, in a statement earlier in the week. Four non-profit organizations, including the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), filed a lawsuit earlier in the week, calling for those targeted to have their day in court before facing deportation. The suit argues that the plan for mass arrests targets refugees fleeing El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras because of threats to their lives from their governments and gangs.

 

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS