Exclusive Reports

Thu, Apr

Police Arrest Suspect Who Killed Four In Memphis Shooting Spree

US & Canada News
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

The suspect responsible for causing terror and widespread apprehension across Memphis on Wednesday has been arrested by Police. Ezekiel Kelly, 19, is in custody after Memphis police issued an alert Wednesday evening to be on the lookout for an armed and dangerous man who police said was on a shooting rampage across the city. He drove around the city shooting at people during an hours-long rampage that forced frightened people to shelter in different places. The rampage began at 12:56 a.m. Wednesday and continued to about 8:30 p.m. There were at least eight crime scenes: the seven shootings and the carjacking of a Dodge Challenger in Southaven, Mississippi, Davis said. Four people have been killed during the senseless shooting while three others were injured. As the shooter terrorized Memphis, public bus service was suspended and a downtown stadium where a minor-league baseball game was underway was placed on lockdown.

Police say Kelly posted live footage of himself pointing guns and shooting people on Facebook and Instagram throughout the evening.

The first shooting happened in the early morning hours of Wednesday. A 24-year-old man was shot and killed on Lynndale Avenue.

The next shooting happened at 4:35 p.m. A man was found dead on E Parkway South after being shot multiple times.

One minute later, a shooting occurred at Norris Road and I-240 near the southbound ramp. A woman was shot in the leg and is in non-critical condition at the hospital.

The next shooting happened on Jackson Avenue at a business. Police say Kelly ran into the store and shot a man. That victim is in critical condition.

CBS Memphis affiliate WREG-TV reports that the suspect got into a face-off in Memphis, refusing to drop down from the vehicle, which police surrounded. The SWAT Team was called in to assist. Memphis police say the suspect was taken into custody with the help of Shelby County Sheriff's deputies.

He was arrested after he crashed during a high-speed chase from Mississippi back into Memphis, then charged as an adult with attempted first-degree murder.

His criminal history also includes attempted first-degree murder, aggravated assault, and reckless endangerment. Those charges came from an arrest in 2020.

According to Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland, Kelly was sentenced to three years in prison for those charges, but served just 11 months and was released in March.