In line with the expansion of misinformation policies, YouTube has on Wednesday announced the ban on anti-vaccine content from its platform. In a statement on its official blog, the company said it has since last year taken down "over 130,000 videos for violating" the COVID-19 vaccine policies.
“We’ve steadily seen false claims about the coronavirus vaccines spill over into misinformation about vaccines in general, and we’re now at a point where it’s more important than ever to expand the work we started with COVID-19 to other vaccines,” the company said.
It added that the policy will target “content that falsely alleges that approved vaccines are dangerous and cause chronic health effects, claims that vaccines do not reduce transmission or contraction of disease, or contains misinformation on the substances contained in vaccines.”
However, the company said it will consider the importance of scientific debates and will allow content about vaccine policies, trials, and historical successes and failures.
Also, content on personal experiences in relation to the vaccine will be allowed on the platform so far it does not violate other guidelines.