The Nigerian government has filed cybercrime charges against former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, at the Federal High Court in Abuja over alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu. The case, filed as FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026 on Monday, follows remarks made by Mr El-Rufai during a live Arise TV interview, in which he admitted that he and an unnamed individual had access to the NSA’s private calls.


"The NSA's call was tapped. They do that to our calls too, and we heard him saying they should arrest me," Mr. El-Rufai said during the programme on Friday. He linked the alleged interception to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, the previous day.

Recall that Mr. El-Rufai was earlier reportedly involved in a heated verbal exchange with security operatives at the airport shortly after returning to the country. Eyewitnesses said security officials briefly restrained him and confiscated his international passport before escorting him out amid chants from supporters.

Mr. El-Rufai, a vocal critic of the President Bola Tinubu administration who left the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) last year to join the African Democratic Congress, appeared on Arise TV to clarify the airport incident, during which he disclosed the alleged phone interception.

On Monday, prosecutors from the State Security Services (SSS) filed cybercrime charges against him, citing statements made during the Arise TV interview. Copies of the filing circulated online.

In the first count, prosecutors allege that Mr. El-Rufai admitted to unlawfully intercepting Mr. Ribadu’s phone communications, contravening Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024.

The second count accuses him of knowing an individual who unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s communications and failing to report the matter to security agencies, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes Act.

The third count alleges that Mr. El-Rufai and others used technical equipment to compromise public safety and national security by intercepting Mr. Ribadu’s communications, violating Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

A date for Mr. El-Rufai’s arraignment has not yet been fixed. He has not publicly responded to the charges as of the filing of this report.

The televised remarks come amid escalating tension between Mr. El-Rufai and the Tinubu administration. Mr. Tinubu had initially nominated him as a minister in 2023, but the Senate rejected the nomination over alleged security concerns.

Mr. El-Rufai claimed that the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) “procured” the SSS to detain him, insisting that Mr. Ribadu personally ordered his arrest. “He made the call because we listen to their calls. The government believes it is the only one listening to calls, but we have our ways,” he said. When pressed on whether the NSA’s phone was tapped, he added: “Someone tapped his phone,” acknowledging the act could be illegal.

Following the broadcast, Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, described the comments as a “confession” and called for an investigation. Temitope Ajayi, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, also said the remarks warranted scrutiny. Security experts warned that unlawful interception of the NSA’s communications, if confirmed, could constitute a serious breach of national security protocol.