Up to 60 persons fell sick over the weekend in different places of salmonella poisoning after they consumed contaminated pre-cut melon purchased from retailers.
Among the people who were sickened from the deadly bacteria, 31 went for medical attention complaining of symptoms including vomiting, fever and diarrhea, aol.com reported.
The CDC said Caito Foods LLC recalled a selection of watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, a fruit medley on 8 June. Each of their products contained at least one melon produced at the company's facility in Indianapolis, indiana.
Those products have now been linked by officials to a rash of salmonella infections around the county. The CDC revealed that 60 people have reportedly been infected with a strain of Salmonella Adelaide, with 31 people hospitalized.
A preliminary investigation conducted by the CDC linked the salmonella outbreak to a Caito Foods facility in Indianapolis, Indiana.
'Recalled products were distributed to Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, and Ohio,' the CDC said.
The government agency said that people living in those states should avoid eating cut melon or fruit salad products sold at the large retail stores.
If you have purchased any fruit that may have been connected with the recall, the CDC is asking that you throw it away immediately.
"If you don’t remember where you bought pre-cut melon, don’t eat it and throw it away," the CDC said in a statement.
So far no one has died from the infection.