The Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 has declared Kogi State a high-risk zone for failing to acknowledge the existence of the virus. The PTF said that the Kogi government had failed to report testing, lacked isolation centers and therefore cautions Nigerians to be wary of visiting the state. It said having analysed the pandemic in the country, 22 high burdened Local Government Areas within 13 states in the country had been identified. The National Incident Manager (NIM) of the PTF COVID-19 pandemic, Mukhtar Muhammad who said this yesterday, urged Nigerians to avoid traveling to the State.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has disclosed that it has recorded 685 fresh cases of coronavirus which has brought the toll to 131,242 in the country. The Health agency made this known through its official Twitter handle last night. Compared with previous result has indicated that the recent case released by the health agency yesterday was the least in its daily report since Jan 2, when a daily report of 576 was recorded. As at the time of filling this report, Nigeria has a total of 131,242 infections making the country the sixth highest in the African continent after Ethiopia, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco and South Africa.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has launched a mobile application, “WHO COVID-19 Updates” which offers “trusted info from both the experts at the WHO and regional partners, with regular updates and notifications as scientific findings progress." According to the health body, the app will enlighten users on both mild and serious symptoms of COVID-19, and also educate them on how to protect themselves, as well as avoiding myths, and misinformation. The app which was initially released in April 2020 but was removed from public space, is currently only available on Google Play Store in Nigeria. However, the older version is similar to the latest stable version.
Nigeria on Monday recorded 1,204 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, the highest number of new infections recorded in a day, totalling it to 91,351 cases, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said. According to NCDC, the new cases were recorded in 20 States and the FCT, with Lagos remaining the epicentre of the pandemic with 654 cases, while FCT had 200. Other States include Plateau-60, Kaduna-54, Kano-40, Rivers-30, Edo-28, Nasarawa-25, Kebbi-19, Bauchi-18, Oyo-13, Akwa Ibom-12, Bayelsa-11, Ogun-11, Delta-9, Abia-8, Benue-5, Imo-three, Borno-2, and Sokoto and Osun with 1 case each.
The Federal Government of Nigeria on Monday approved new restrictions in a bid to mitigate the spread of a second wave of COVID-19 in the country. The chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, announced the new restrictions during a press briefing of the task force in Abuja, wherein he ordered the closure of all restaurants, night clubs, event centres, and bars in all the states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). The number of guests at weddings and conference has also been cut down to 59 as new strain of coronavirus hits the nation. Services like home deliveries by restaurants, services to hotel residents, takeaways and drive-ins may operate.
Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello has tested positive for the dreaded COVID-19. Governor Bello made this known in a tweet on Monday, November, 9, 2020, revealing that he is asymptomatic and is in isolation. On his twitter handle he wrote: “I have tested positive to #COVID19. However, I am asymptomatic and have gone into isolation,” the governor posted.