My name is Enobakhare. My botched perilous journey to Europe through Libya started in 2015, two years after I graduated from University of Benin where I studied Philosophy. After my NYSC, I returned to Benin. Following non-availability of white collar jobs, I opened a barbing salon around Ring Road. On the average, I was making between N3,000 and N5,000 daily.
Up until May 30, 1967, there was nothing like Biafra, either as a nation, geographical territory, struggle or political movement as some will now like to refer to it. Ab initio what is now commonly known as Biafra encompass mainly all the south-east states including parts of present-day Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Benue States.
Recent events in my beloved South East have vindicated me. Earlier on, I embarked on a self-imposed assignment to rediscover youths that have been brainwashed by the divisive and deceitful rhetoric of Nnamdi Kanu. I carried out the assignment by publishing articles to reawaken their consciousness and open their minds to the futility of Nnamdi Kanu's struggle. I also attempted to reveal the real purpose of his campaign.
Some people are currently beating the drum of war in parts of Abia and Rivers States. Many young men are putting their lives on the line not realising that they are mere pawns on the hands of chess masters safely tucked away behind high fenced buildings in Lagos, Abuja and other foreign lands.
I have been asked severally why I chose to stand against a fellow Igbo brother over the rejuvenation of Biafra dream. Several aspersions have been cast on me simply because I differ with the fraudulent approach of Nnamdi Kanu and his scamming of the entire Igbo nation in the name of Biafra.
I watched with utter disgust a recent video where Nnamdi Kanu was seen gallivanting while inspecting a parade and guard of honour mounted by the 'Biafra Security Service (BSS)' in Abia State. What a shame! While reactions have continued to trail the ambiguous show of charlatanry and utter exploitation of Ndigbo by the masquerade called Nnamdi Okwu Kanu, the facts remain that Kanu is a pseudo criminal perpetuating his ideals for personal gains.
It’s been a while since I visited home, and so when the opportunity presented itself recently, I took it with all candour. Driving through Awka to Enugu-Ukwu, I couldn’t have been more excited and proud of the enterprise of my people.
The recent visit of Acting President Yemi Osinbajo to London to see his ailing boss, President Muhammadu (GCFR), has been likened to the “Raid on Entebe” by the Israeli security forces in 1976. Nobody saw it coming, not even a leak in the media. When the news eventually filtered in, the gallant Acting President was already airborne back to Nigeria.
The internet has redefined human existence. From education to manufacturing, healthcare, religion, politics, and economy, our lives have been reshaped forever. However, beyond its overwhelming advantages, the human race faces a new threat to its existence, Internet Pornography.
Recently, the leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, asked that the governorship election in Anambra State as well as other elections in Nigeria be boycotted. The belief of Kanu and IPOB is that such an act would “send a strong signal” to Nigerians that it is serious about its quest for a referendum on Biafra.
In my last article, I promised to espouse further on lessons learnt from the American Civil War of 1861, especially as they affect ongoing agitations for a Biafran Republic.
- The recent terrorist attacks in Manchester, London, Germany and France indicate that global terrorism is still on the rise.
- Although Boko Haram has been largely decimated from the Sambisa Forest, the war on terror is yet to be won, as surviving BH elements have dispersed to various parts of the country.
- Since previous celebrations including Christmas, Easter, and Sallah have been exploited by terrorist elements to cause mayhem, the need for personal security and safety has become all important.
The Following tips could prevent you from possible terror attack
- Avoid crowded places during this period. If you must be in such places like parks, cinemas, and markets, malls and even prayer grounds, endeavour to be vigilant at all times and draw the attention of people around you and where available security agencies to any suspicious movement or behaviours.
- The recent terror attacks in London and Paris were perpetrated by terrorists who used large trucks to ram at people in crowded areas. So be very conscious of this pattern and avoid areas which could easily be exploited by terror elements using large trucks or vehicles.
- You can have in your bag, pocket or car pepper spray. In the case of knife attack as witnessed in London, a snippet of pepper spray may be all you need to escape from the hands of the terrorist.
- Encourage security awareness in your family and discuss what to do if there is a security threat.
- Make sure to memorize important emergency phone numbers that can help you reach the police and other security agencies in times of emergency.
- Make it a point to keep your mobile phone charged and topped up with credit at all times. You don't want to be running out of phone charge or money in an emergency.
- Do not travel into areas that are expected terrorist targets.
- Draw the attention of the police or other security agencies to vehicles parked or abandoned by suspicious persons. Do not allow unknown persons to drop or abandon bags, boxes, cartons or any wrapped or sealed containers around your premises.
- Operators of public places such as parks, shopping mall, gardens, cinemas, markets, churches, Mosques and schools must reinforce access control and other physical security measures especially illumination, installation of CCTV Cameras.
- Hotels and other hospitality establishments should always screen their guests properly and ensure that they obtain accurate details about them.
Happy Eid-el-Fitri Celebration to our Muslim Brothers and Sisters, while congratulating each and every one of you on the successful end of the Ramadan Fast.