Sidebar

29
Sun, Jan

President Buhari Commissions National Shared Services Centre

Trending Now
Typography

President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday commissioned the National Shared Service Centre (NSSC) in Abuja which was set up by the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy with the aim of tackling cyber threats targeted at the country’s digital infrastructures. The centre was created as a “one-stop-shop” for Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to interact with members of the public and also has a cybersecurity operations centre, call centre, amongst other features.


The President said, “These initiatives are part of our administration’s efforts to position the digital economy as a key enabler for the diversification of our economy and as a catalyst for the transformation of every sector of our economy.

“To ensure that the digital economy sector remains successful and in order to reduce the burden on citizens, I recently approved the suspension of the proposed excise duty in the telecoms sector, as any initiative that will lead to hardship for the citizens would not be pursued”.

In his remarks, the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Prof. Isa Pantami appreciated President Buhari for his continuous support and also assured the President of his commitment to diversifying the economy.

The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Galaxy Backbone, Prof. Muhammed Abubakar, said about 400 MDAs were currently connected to the NSSC.

He said, “The entire building was 99% funded by Galaxy Backbone Limited’s internally generated revenue, there was no intervention from anywhere and the remaining 1% is the provision of some equipment.

“We have a security operation centre inside the newly commissioned National Shared Services Centre built mainly to curb cyber threats. We have seen the number of emails coming into Galaxy’s network and other government agencies.

“We also have some of the equipment and devices we have put in place to ensure that those emails do not threaten the government’s system. About 90% of the emails coming to the galaxy network were spam and 10% were real mail”.

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS